Chocolate Chip Banana Bars
Moist and fluffy Chocolate Chip Banana Bars with crunchy walnuts studded throughout. A deliciously healthy take on the classic banana bread, these banana bars are my latest favorite. Enjoy them crumbled over yogurt at breakfast, as a midday snack, or with a glass of milk for dessert. Truly perfect for any time the sweet tooth strikes!
I used super ripe bananas for these bars, making the texture more moist and adding extra banana-y sweetness. Paired with rich chocolate and nutty walnuts, the flavors of these banana bars are truly delicious!
If youre looking for more dessert bar options, check out these Chocolate Chip Zucchini Bars. Theyre moist, fluffy, and have melty chocolate chips in every bite. Perfect for on-the-go breakfast or a healthy snack!
How To Make The Best Chocolate Chip Banana Bread
I know, we all hate the word moist but theres just no other word that better describes this banana bread. Its tough to even categorize this as bread because of how soft and lush it is. Especially with those mini chocolate chips sprinkled throughout.
To make this recipe, I essentially modified by pumpkin bread recipe because its just so good. If it can make life-changing pumpkin bread, why cant it make life-changing chocolate chip banana bread? Hypothesis confirmed. It sure can.
There are a few things to keep in mind to ensure your bread turns out perfect:
So thats that. These few simple tips will ensure your chocolate chip banana bread turns out soft and moist every time.
Tips For Easy Banana Bread
- Mash your bananas well with a fork. Its fine if there is a few lumps.
- The batter should be thick and lumpy once all of the ingredients are mixed through. You may be tempted to add more liquid, but you wont need it. This banana bread is perfect.
- Do not be tempted to over mix!
- Use a pale coloured loaf pan light grey or white is ideal. Dark or black loaf pans are known to darken the bottom of cakes or loaves.
- Line your loaf pan with parchment paper. Leave a 3 inch overhang to make it easy to pull and lift the banana bread out of the pan.
- Place your loaf onto a cooling rack to let cool, or enjoy a slice fresh out of the oven!
Also Check: Cake With Chocolate Covered Strawberries
Ingredients For The Chocolate Chip And Walnut Banana Bread
- coconut sugar or brown sugar
- all-purpose flour
- semi-sweet chocolate chips
Chocolate Chip Walnut Banana Bread
Ripe bananas, sweet chocolate chips, and crunchy walnuts will make this easy quick bread your new go-to banana bread recipe! This tasty banana bread takes less than 10 minutes to prep and only requires one bowl for easy cleanup!
We make a loaf of banana bread at least a few times a month, it’s a super fast recipe that is easy enough for even my elementary-aged son to make. If you have ripe bananas you probably have all the ingredients you’ll need already on hand!
Recommended Reading: Fabrica De Chocolate Cerca De Mi
How To Make Easy Chocolate Chip Banana Bread
This recipes comes together easily. Be sure to follow the recipe as specified, including using both granulated sugar AND brown sugar. The brown sugar really enhances the flavor of the bread. Also ensure that your eggs are at room temperature and your butter is softened.
- Step 1: Mash the bananas. Be sure to use overripe bananas. The bananas should be mostly brown to yield the best flavor. Mash until smooth. Do not leave chunks of bananas.
- Step 2: Prepare the pan. Grease a 9×5 metal loaf pan and set aside. Use butter or a nonstick cooking spray to grease the sides.
- Step 3: Make the batter. Cream together the butter and sugars. Then add the eggs, mashed bananas and vanilla. Stir in the flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Fold until just combined. Do not overmix the batter.
- Step 4: Add the chocolate chips. Gently fold in 3/4 cup of the chocolate chips until combined. After pouring the batter into the loaf pan, sprinkle the remaining 1/4 chips on top.
- Step 5: Bake at 350 degrees F for 50 to 60 minutes, or until the bread is set and a knife inserted into the center comes out clean.
Dont Miss: Sugar Free Cherry Pie Filling
Walnut Chocolate Chip Banana Bread
This walnut chocolate chip banana bread is a super moist banana bread. This is a no mixer easy to make recipe. It is full of walnut pieces and mini chocolate chips. The banana bread is perfect to make if you have ripe bananas and perfect for brunch!
I love this chocolate chip walnut banana bread. It is super easy to make and loaded with flavor.
The best part of this banana bread is the mini chocolate chips. It gives it little pockets of chocolate.
Also Check: Best Coffee Cup To Go
How To Store And Keep For Later Use
The banana bread stores well for a few days if refrigerated. I usually wrap leftover banana bread in aluminum foil tightly and refrigerate it. When needed, warm it up slightly in the microwave or for 5 to 10 minutes or more as needed in a 250-degree oven.
Serve it for breakfast or a snack in the evening. The best way is to serve it warm with some softened butter spread on top. While the bread is still warm, the butter lusciously melts into the bread, making it a heavenly bite!
How To Make This Banana Bread
- Mash the ripe bananas and keep them aside. In a bowl, beat eggs and sugar until light yellow in the shade. Add the softened butter and combine.
- Mix flour, baking powder, and baking soda in a separate bowl. Add these to the wet ingredients and combine. Add the mashed bananas and splash of milk and combine with a spatula.
- Finally, add the walnuts and chocolate chips and fold them in the batter. Do not overmix.
- Bake in a preheated 350-degree oven for about 45-50 minutes till the inside comes clean with a toothpick or skewer.
Also Check: Chocolate Chip Sugar Free Cookies
How To Make Your Chocolate Chip Banana Bread Healthy
This is a way of making your guilty pleasure a little less “guilty“. If you still want to indulge in a moist bite of this banana bread, but the extra calories are making your healthy plans go “bananas”, then I may have a few solutions up my sleeve. For a healthier take, substitute your butter with coconut oil. You can also replace the white sugar with brown sugar, coconut sugar which has a low glycemic index, or any sugar-free substitute . Also, although I used all-purpose white flour in this recipe, whole wheat flour works wonders! And to end this section in the sweetest way, replace the chocolate chips with dark chocolate chips or lilys sugar-free chocolate chips.
Moist, Sweet, and Oh So Yummy!
How To Make Chocolate Walnut Banana Bread
1 It cannot be easier to make this chocolate banana bread. You combine all dry ingredients in one bowl and set aside. Then mash the bananas and mix in all remaining wet ingredients. After that, mix to combine wet and dry ingredients .
2 Next, pour the batter into a loaf pan and bake until a toothpick inserted in the bread comes out clean. I use a 4×8 loaf pan for this recipe.
Quick tip: you can quickly combine the bananas, eggs and melted butter in a blender for a few seconds.
I think you will also like this Steamed Vietnamese Banana Cake.
Id love to hear what you think about this dish, so please feel free to leave a comment. New recipes are added every week so lets connect on , , and for the latest updates. You can find my collection of Vietnamese recipes here.
You May Like: Coffee Maker With Water Line
Gemmas Pro Chef Tips For Making The Best Zucchini Chocolate Chip Muffins:
- Zucchini and buttermilk provide plenty of moisture, so if you want to reduce the sugar by half, it should be fine.
- If you dont have buttermilk, its easy to make your own! Try my recipe here.
- Be sure to use a fine grater for these muffins and squeeze the excess liquid out so the muffins wont be soggy.
- You can use semi-sweet or bittersweet chocolate if that is what you prefer.
- If you like your muffins nutty, add ½ cup of chopped walnuts to the batter along with the chocolate chips.
- Try adding a tablespoon of orange zest for a deliciously unexpected twist.
Is This A Healthy Banana Walnut Bread Recipe
Many pre-made breads or store bought mixes contain way too much added sugar. Some even contain up to or even more than your daily allowance of sugar yikes! The key ingredients that make this chocolate chip banana bread healthier than store bought varieties are whole wheat flour, bananas, walnuts, and less sugar than leading brands.
Recommended Reading: Cocoa Shell Mulch Home Depot
What You Need To Make This Recipe
Bananas you have to use overripe bananas for this to work. They should have brown and black spots all over and be soft so they are really easy to mash. Overripe bananas are extra sweet and soft making them perfect for baking with.
Vanilla use vanilla extract for a real vanilla taste and stay away from vanilla essence which is synthetic.
Butter softened butter is a must so bring it out of the fridge in advance. Its creamed together with the sugar and the only way to do that is by using softened, room-temperature butter.
Sugar I use granulated sugar for this but brown sugar will also work.
Chocolate chips I love to use semi-sweet chocolate chips because banana bread is already really sweet. If you want you can use bittersweet chocolate which will also be delicious or even milk chocolate if you dont mind the extra sweetness.
Salt even in sweet recipes salt is an important ingredient, you dont need much at all but it really enhances the flavors!
Ingredient Notes And Substitutions
- Bananas: Overripe bananas are the best for banana bread! Youll need 3 bananas for this recipe.
- Flour: I like to use a combination of all-purpose flour and whole wheat flour. But you can use just one or the other if youd like. If using 100% whole wheat flour, your bread may be just a little less fluffy.
- Maple Syrup: Naturally sweetens this banana bread.
- Milk: I used soy milk but any non-dairy milk will work in this recipe.
- Oil: Use any neutral oil that you have on hand. We usually use canola oil, but olive oil, avocado oil, or melted coconut oil should work as well.
- Baking Powder/Baking Soda: The combination of these adds lightness and lift to this bread.
- Flax Egg: Ground flax and water make a great egg replacement for vegan recipes like this one. You can also use chia seeds instead of flax.
- Chocolate: I used mini vegan chocolate chips but you could use regular sized ones OR a chopped chocolate bar.
- Walnuts: I just love the combination of walnuts and chocolate. If you dont like walnuts, pecans would work well.
Don’t Miss: Behr Chocolate Semi Transparent Stain
Banana Bread With Chocolate Chips And Walnuts
- 1/2 cup mixed in, 1/4 cup sprinkled on top
- roughly chopped
- Mix flour, baking soda, and salt in a mixing bowl.
- Mix canola oil, sugar, and eggs in a separate mixing bowl.
- Combine the dry ingredients in Step 1 with the wet ingredients in Step 2. Mix well.
- Add bananas and stir until the dry ingredients are moist. Depending on how ripe your bananas are, you may need a
- Add 1/2 cup chocolate chips and 1/2 cup walnuts, gently folding them in.
- Preheat the oven to 325 F.
- Pour the mixture into a greased 9×5 inch loaf pan . Sprinkle 1/4 cup chocolate chips and 1/4 cup walnuts on top.
- Bake until the top is browned and a toothpick tester comes out clean in the center, about 75 minutes. Let cool. Run a knife around the inside of the pan to release the banana bread.
Its always a big treat for Mr. Savory Tooth when I make sweet dishes! Last time I made dessert was more than 2 months ago. Its rare that I make desserts, since Im almost always making savory dishes. One of Mr. Savory Tooths favorite desserts is banana bread, which I also really love to eat. Yesterday, I surprised him by making banana bread and it was a look of pure delight on his face when he saw the banana bread siting in its loaf pan. It almost makes me feel bad that I dont make desserts more often!
My favorite part of the dish? The TEXTURE! I love the top crust its all so crispy and crunchy. And then the inside of the banana bread is very moist and just perfect.
Storing And Freezing Banana Bread
This bread keeps at room temperature, wrapped well in plastic and on the counter, for at least a couple of days, although it wont last that long because youll eat it all!
You can also freeze the whole loaf or slices by wrapping well in plastic and then in foil.
Need more banana bread freezing and storing information? Click here for all the ins and outs on how to keep your banana bread at its best!
Note: We updated this recipe on August 20, 2021, reducing the baking soda to 1/2 teaspoon and changing the pan to an 8 1/2 x 4 1/2-inch pan.
You May Like: Neiman Marcus Chocolate Chip Cookie
Ingredients Needed To Make This:
- Bananas: The riper the bananas, the better. If you have bananas lying around, use them to make this delicious item.
- Eggs: Helps in adding more richness and creaminess to the batter
- Flour: Use organic or regular flour either will work.
- Baking Soda & Powder: Adds tenderness and neutralizes the batter also acts as a leavening/rising agent.
- Butter: Adding a small quantity of butter will yield a crisper crust and a higher rise.
- Walnuts: Gives a delicious crunch and are super good for you. Can substitute with almonds as well.
- Chocolate Chips: melt right into the bread while baking for a delicious bite!
- Milk: A tbsp to 2 tbsp simply combine the ingredients.
- Sugar: As per sweetness needed, brown sugar can also be used for a richer taste.
Chocolate Chip Walnut Banana Bread Ingredient Superstars
- Spelt Flour: good source of dietary fiber, vitamins and minerals and often for some individuals can be easier to digest
- Ground Flax Seeds: acts as a perfect egg substitute and helps to bind the ingredients together, also provides omega 3s
- Peanut Butter: great source of healthy whole fats
- Walnuts: adds lovely texture to the bread while providing some additional omega 3s
You will notice as you mix this that you will get a much thicker batter than other banana bread recipes. This is totally fine as I find this thickness helps create a better shape to the bread and it has an easier time rising. Combine all these stellar ingredients in one bowl, pour into your baking pan and pop it in the oven. It will take about 50-55 minutes to fully bake, but the wait is so worth it. I did a bit of cleaning and reorganizing in that time frame, but do what feels right to you when waiting patiently. Maybe that time includes sneaking a few extra chocolate chips in. Im not here to judge.
You can serve this bread as is or spread with your favorite toppings. Ive been in love with an extra smear of peanut butter and jam on my slices. Be as creative as you choose to be with this chocolate chip walnut banana bread. Theres technically, no bad way of doing this.
Recommended Reading: Things To Cover In Chocolate
Culinary Tips For The Best Chocolate Chip Banana Bread Recipe
Measure the flour properly to prevent dense bread. Fluff, spoon, and level dont scoop and pack!
Whisking the dry ingredients together mimics sifting and evenly distributes the ingredients, so dont substitute another utensil.
Toast the walnuts before adding them to the flour mixture for better flavor.
Add the walnuts and chocolate chips after whisking the dry ingredients to ensure even distribution.
If your bananas arent quite ripe, roast them at 400ºF for 10 minutes with the peel on. Cool slightly, then mash.
Because this recipe has ripe bananas and chocolate chips , we reduced the brown sugar from our base recipe. When measuring brown sugar, pack it in the cup. If you are trying to reduce your sugar consumption or prefer less sweet bread, reduce the sugar to ¼ cup the recipe will still come out great!
Dont overmix the batter! Watch our muffin method culinary technique video to learn how to mix the batter just enough so that you end up with light and fluffy quick bread.
If your oven runs hot, check the bread for doneness after 45 minutes. To check for doneness, insert a toothpick into the middle of the loaf. If it comes out clean, its done! If its not done but the top of the loaf is getting too dark, loosely cover with a piece of foil and return to the oven.
The type of loaf pan will impact cook time. Dark metal pans will cook bread faster than ceramic pans.