The Doubletree Hotel Chocolate Chip Cookie Is The Secret Cookie Recipe Among Cookie Recipes Well Was Secret
48 hours ahead of landfall, it was clear that the spaghetti models were showing a northern South Carolina/southern North Carolina hit.
I immediately knew me and mine would then be headed south and away from the winds and the rain that were still certainly going to affect Charleston.
I cancelled the reservations Id made in Atlanta and Hickory, but confirmed the ones Id made for Saint Augustine, Florida.
Its hard enough to board up your home and pack everything important to you in the cars to then leave, let alone try to get comfortable elsewhere while all hell is breaking loose at home.
This trip was not one I was looking forward to because of the circumstances, but I was glad Id thought enough ahead to secure a beautiful hotel and in a vibrant ancient city to boot. If youve ever visited Saint Augustine, you already know EXACTLY what Im talking about
We rolled into Saint Augustine, cars packed with pets, people, and important property just before dinner the day of the storm. Guest services was handling A LOT of North and South Carolina evacuees whod made the trek and were clearly in a stressed state of mind.
That was, until four or five guest services staff stepped into the lobby with large plates of chocolate chip cookies, the legendary DoubleTree cookies
Why Doubletree Cookies Are Famous
DoubleTree cookies actually have a fan following and have been around for a long time.
More than 30 million cookies are enjoyed each year and this recipe was actually the first food to be baked in orbit during experiments aboard the International Space Station.
Many people have tried to create copycat recipes for DoubleTree Hotel Chocolate Chip Cookies, but only now has Hilton released the official version to create at home.
Pin This Now To Save For Later
Then, Doubletree lifted the lid and released the recipe for their classic chocolate chip walnut cookies to the public!
I immediately headed to my kitchen to test it out, wondering if it was actually as good as the hotel cookies.
Yes. Yes, it is.
These chocolate chip walnut cookies are soft and chewy with chocolate morsels that melt in your mouth!
Whether you love Doubletree Cookies or have never tried them before, go make this cookie recipe! You wont be sorry.
These remind me of our favorite Chocolate Chunk Cookie Recipe!
You May Like: Cocoa Butter On Stretch Marks
Doubletree Cookies: A Copycat Doubletree Hotel Cookie Recipe
Have you tasted the world-famous Hilton DoubleTree Cookies? Theyre meant to make guests feel special, so you know they must be something exceptional. The cookies have the best chewy texture , theyre butter-rich, and they have an insane amount of chocolate chips.
This isnt just a copycat recipe, we have the actual official DoubleTree cookie recipe for you to try at home. Its especially perfect served warm with a glass of cold milk. As are these amazing peanut butter oatmeal cookies.
Long ago and far awaywellin the early 1980s, many hotels gave their VIP guests sweet perks such as speciality chocolates and mints. DoubleTree Hilton Hotel decided they wanted each guest to feel special and cared for after a long day of travel and they began gifting every guest with a delicious, freshly baked delicious chocolate chip cookie.
But why wait when you can bake the real thing at home in your own kitchen?
Doubletree By Hilton Chocolate Chip Cookie
- For the first time, in April 2020, DoubleTree by Hilton revealed their official chocolate chip cookie recipe for you to create this warm and welcoming treat from your own kitchen. Thanks to the partnership between the Nestle Professional food service team and DoubleTree by Hilton, these cookies are made with deliciously rich and creamy NESTLE® TOLL HOUSE® morsels.
- 3/4 cup plus 1 tablespoon granulated sugar
- 3/4 cup packed light brown sugar
- 1 1/4 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 3/4 cups walnuts, chopped
Also Check: Brownie With Cocoa Powder Recipe
What Makes Doubletree Chocolate Chip Cookies Special
- First off, their size. Theyre nice and big. I use an ice cream scoop to portion out the dough so nobody gets cheated.
- A large amount of walnuts give these cookies an extra nutty flavor.
- Rolled oats add texture and flavor.
- There is a small amount of lemon juice in the dough, and that reacts with the baking soda to give the cookies lift and a chewier texture.
- A pinch of cinnamon gives these cookies a special je ne sais quois! They smell amazing as they bake.
- The dough needs no chilling before baking, so theres no unnecessary waiting.
- These cookies are not super soft, they have a nice crunchy edges with chewy centers.
What Makes Doubletree Chocolate Chip Cookies So Good
There are a few things that make Doubletree cookies stand out from the rest. As Ive mentioned, they have a handful of secret ingredients, that you might not expect to find in a chocolate chip cookie recipe.
- They have a large amount of walnuts that give them a crunch in every bite.
- There is just the right amount of rolled oats added to create their perfect cookie texture.
- A pinch of cinnamon gives them their unique flavor.
- The most interesting secret ingredient is lemon juice! I was so surprised by this, too. The lemon juice reacts with the baking soda. So, adding lemon juice to these cookies gives them their insane chewiness, and keeps them tasting like they are fresh out of the oven.
Read Also: Calories In White Chocolate Mocha Starbucks
How To Make Their Doubletree Cookie Recipe
Heres a quick breakdown of how to make these cookies.
How To Make This Doubletree Cookies Recipe
The following is the official chocolate chip cookie recipe courtesy of DoubleTree by Hilton Hotels.
STEP ONE: Cream butter, sugar, and brown sugar in the large bowl of a stand mixer on medium speed for about 2 minutes.
STEP TWO: Add eggs, vanilla, and lemon juice. Blend with the mixer on low speed for 30 seconds, then medium speed for about 2 minutes, or until light and fluffy, scraping down sides of the bowl.
STEP THREE: With mixer on low speed, add flour, oats, baking soda, salt, and cinnamon. Blend for about 45 seconds, but dont overmix.
PRO TIP:Do not overmix or you may end up with crumbly cookies.
STEP FOUR: Remove bowl from mixer and stir in chocolate chips and walnuts.
STEP FIVE: Portion dough with a scoop onto a baking sheet lined with parchment paper about 2 inches apart.
PRO TIP:A large cookie scoop holds about 3 tablespoons of dough and should be the right size for these cookies.
STEP SIX: Preheat oven to 300°F. Bake for 20 to 23 minutes, or until edges are golden brown and center is still soft.
STEP SEVEN: Remove warm cookies from oven and cool on baking sheet for about 1 hour.
Recommended Reading: Low Carb Chocolate Chip Cookies Recipe
And The Headlines Read Doubletree Hotel Shares Signature Chocolate Chip Cookie Recipe With The World
The DoubleTree chocolate chip cookie recipe is a big deal. The cookies have been nagging recipe developers and the copycat cookie recipes community for decades, trying to recreate this fabled flavor profile, but even more so, its texture.
This is where the science and hospitality industries comingle without really knowing it! The DoubleTree iconic chocolate chip cookie recipe is well received when its first introduced in 1986, so much so that this now famous Hilton DoubleTree cookies recipe is deemed secret and not to be shared.
But what the heck is it about this dough that makes better cookies than other chocolate chip cookie recipes??
Why This Recipe Works
If youve come to this recipe, you likely already know what youre in for. These signature Doubletree chocolate chip cookies are quite the ordeal. This recipe comes straight from Hilton following the craze of copycat recipes out there that couldnt quite live up to the original. Now you can enjoy your favorite sweet treat, even when you cant get away on holiday.
If you dont know, Doubletree by Hilton hands these cookies out to their guests when checking in, and theyre known as some of the best chocolate chip cookies around! These large and in charge cookies are ultra chocolatey with a bit of crunch from the nuts and additional texture from rolled oats.
Don’t Miss: Ground Coffee For French Press
How To Make Doubletree Cookies
Your family is going to love this cookie recipe! Heres how it comes together.
Doubletree Cookie Recipe Substitutions And Swaps
While I love this recipe just the way it is, I know some of you might not have all these ingredients on hand!
Below are some swaps and substitutions that can be made in this recipe.
- Unsalted Butter If you only have salted butter on hand, you can use it in place of the unsalted butter in this recipe. Just be sure to omit the salt that this recipe calls for. You can also use vegan butter in its place. Or if you feel really fancy you can use browned butter!
- Granulated Sugar / Brown Sugar This recipe uses equal parts granulated sugar and brown sugar. If you only have one type of sugar on hand, you can use it in place of the other. But the mixture of brown and granulated sugar gives these cookies a hint of caramel, soft centers, and golden-brown edges.
- 1 LargeEgg This cookie recipe uses 1 large egg. You can use a flaxseed egg in its place to make eggless or vegan variations of this recipe.
- All Purpose Flour I havent tested this recipe out with gluten free flour, but it should work as long as you use a good blend like King Arthurs GF flour. Just be sure to mix the dough a bit longer, to help give it structure.
- Rolled Oats While Im not the biggest fan of oats in cookies, this small amount of oats gives these cookies a really wonderful texture! They blend into the cookie once its baked, so you can barely tell theyre there. If you dont have rolled oats, you can also use quick oats in their place or omit them if you dont have any oats in your pantry.
You May Like: Where To Buy Dutch Cocoa Powder
Why Are My Doubletree Chocolate Chip Cookies Hard
If your cookies are too hard and crunchy, chances are good youve over-baked them. Decrease the baking time when you make the next tray. Pull the cookies from the oven at the slightest hint of browning on the edges to have soft and chewy cookies after they cool.
One other possibility is that you didnt use the spoon and level method to measure your flour. Extra flour will harden the cookies.
Baked To Perfection: A Timeline Of Success
DoubleTree by Hilton didnt invent the chocolate chip cookie the brand just perfected it. Heres how and when
- 1986: DoubleTree by Hilton introduced the signature cookie amenity to guests as a way to build brand loyalty through a nightly turn-down service.
- 1995: The warm DoubleTree chocolate chip cookie was transferred to front desks, illustrating and reiterating the brands warm welcome.
- 2017: DoubleTree by Hilton introduced an annual Cook Book around National Chocolate Chip Cookie Day that featured DoubleTree chocolate chip cookie-inspired recipes from its hotels around the world, beginning with We Have Cookies.
- 2018: The second Cook Book, Start with Cookies, was released.
- 2019: The DoubleTree chocolate chip cookie became the first food baked in space inside a prototype oven designed to make long-duration space travel more hospitable. Also, the third Cook Book, Mission: Cookie, was released.
- 2020: DoubleTree by Hilton shared the official bake-at-home recipe for the brands beloved and delicious DoubleTree chocolate chip cookie, so at-home bakers could create the warm and comforting treat in their own kitchens.
Did you know? Tins of pre-baked cookies are also available for a thoughtful gift.
Recommended Reading: How To Make Chocolate Milk With Chocolate Chips
How To Make Doubletree Cookies Recipe
The process for making these cookies has 2 folds. In reality, it is no different than any other chocolate cookie recipe.First, you mix the dry ingredients and then the wet ingredients. Second, you mix them together along with chocolate chips and nuts. It is that simple.
A Few Tips on the Best Doubletree Chocolate Cookies:
There are a few things that you should not skip when making this Doubletree Chocolate Cookie Recipe:
1. Once the batter is ready, scoop the cookies onto a sheet pan, cover with plastic, and let it rest in the fridge overnight. I think this step is crucial for the best cookie. Before you are ready to bake them, let them sit on the counter for 15-20 minutes before baking them in the oven.
2. Do not skip using the ground oats. In my opinion, ground oats is what makes this recipe taste so SO delicious.
I usually freeze the cookies in a plastic bag and bake the number of cookies I want to serve on that day. This way they are super fresh.
The baking time may vary depending on the altitude you live. Also, some people love softer cookies. If you are one of those people the timing below will be ideal for you. If you like a harder cookie then let it bake for a few more minutes.In my experience, you can tell that it is done once the top of the cookies turn lightly golden brown. Once you take them out of the oven and let them sit on the counter they will continue to bake.
TRIVIA: Some people call this recipe the Otis Spunkmeyer Chocolate Chip Cookie.
About Doubletree Chocolate Chip Cookies:
- Flavor: This cookie tastes, welllike a chocolate chip cookie. And a good one at that! It has a dash of cinnamon and a hint of lemon. But dont worry if that sounds strange because you cant really taste it in the cookie. Its sweet, loaded with chocolate and mild flavored walnuts.
- Texture: Because this cookie has oatmeal and walnuts along with the chocolate chips, its a chunky, sturdy cookie. It is soft in the middle, yet golden brown around the edges. Its not super soft and has a nice slight crunch to the edges.
Recommended Reading: Starbucks White Chocolate Mocha Calories
Doubletree Chocolate Chip Cookie Recipe
Doubletree chocolate chip cookies are beyond phenomenal. These monstrous beasts are exceptionally soft, chewy, and buttery. Packed full of gooey chocolate chips and crunchy walnuts.
In the 90s, DoubleTree hotels started the tradition of giving out these scrumptious cookies to their guests at check-in. Imagine biting into a warm chocolate chip cookie after spending hours on the road. Thats what I call a warm welcome!
Want to save this recipe? Enter your email below and we’ll send the recipe straight to your inbox!
And to this day, its one of the hotels most defining characteristics.
But, booking a hotel room isnt the only way to get a hold of these chocolatey delights. In fact, you dont even need to be a master baker. With this recipe, you can enjoy the warm, gooey goodness in the comfort of your home.
Sorry, Doubletree, but I figured out your secret recipe!
For The First Time Doubletree By Hilton Reveals Official Chocolate Chip Cookie Recipe So Bakers Can Create The Warm Welcoming Treat At Home
MCLEAN, Va. – For the first time ever, DoubleTree by Hilton is sharing the official bake-at-home recipe for the beloved and delicious DoubleTree Chocolate Chip Cookie, so at-home bakers can create the warm and comforting treat in their own kitchens.
The warm chocolate chip cookie welcome is synonymous with DoubleTree hotels worldwide, and travelers look forward to receiving one, fresh from the oven, upon their arrival.
Our cookies have a passionate fan following and a long history. More than 30 million are consumed every year, and the DoubleTree chocolate chip cookie even became the first food to be baked in orbit during experiments aboard the International Space Station.
Copycat recipes have been shared online for years, but only now has Hilton released the official version to create at home.
We know this is an anxious time for everyone, said Shawn McAteer, senior vice president and global head, DoubleTree by Hilton. A warm chocolate chip cookie cant solve everything, but it can bring a moment of comfort and happiness.
We hope families enjoy the fun of baking together during their time at home, and we look forward to welcoming all our guests with a warm DoubleTree cookie when travel resumes.
You May Like: Gold Bond Cocoa Butter Lotion