No Churn Mint Chocolate Chip Ice Cream
I dont know if Ive mentioned it before, but ice cream is my favorite dessert any time of the year and this No Churn Mint Chocolate Chip Ice Cream is definitely a favorite.
I will happily dive into bowls of chocolate, caramel, peanut butter, fruit, or pretty much any other flavor of ice cream.
Mint Chocolate Chip Ice Cream Ingredients
- heavy whipping cream
How To Make Mint Chip Ice Cream
Ingredients In Homemade Mint Chocolate Chip Ice Cream
Egg Yolks – These create the base for our ice cream custard. We’ll gently heat the egg yolks to pasteurize them, but you can also purchase pasteurized eggs if you prefer. Save the egg whites for an omelet or some other recipe.
Granulated Sugar – For sweetness and texture, plain, white, granulated sugar is the perfect choice.
Whole Milk – The first of our dairy products, whole milk is cooked with the egg yolks.
Salt – Just a pinch enhances the other flavors in this recipe.
Heavy Cream – A mix of both heavy cream and whole milk is what gives us the super creamy texture that we want.
Peppermint Extract – This is what makes this a mint ice cream! Choose peppermint extract instead of mint extract.
Vanilla Extract – Vanilla extract works with the peppermint extract in a beautiful way.
Green Food Coloring – This is optional of course, but green is the typical color of mint ice cream, so adding it will make your ice cream look more familiar.
Mini Chocolate Chips – I choose miniature chips over the regular sized ones in my ice cream recipes so that they are easier to eat. Check out my vanilla Chocolate Chip Ice Cream Recipe too!
You May Like: Is Coffee Good For Hangover
Two: Temper The Egg Mixture
In a small bowl, whisk together the egg yolks and sugar just until combined.
You need to temper the eggs, so they dont cook. Tempering is just bringing the egg mixture up to a higher heat in a slow way so the egg doesnt cook from flash heat. It will be easier to temper the eggs if you have allowed the eggs to come to room temperature before you started.
Slowly stir 1/2 cup of the milk mixture in a drizzle into the egg mixture. If you do this slowly enough, the eggs wont begin to resemble scrambled eggs.
Why Is Mint Chocolate Chip Ice Cream The Best
In a recent survey, mint chocolate chip ice cream was ranked as the 4th most popular ice cream flavor in America. Clearly many people think it is the best.
Like all ice cream flavors, its cool and creamy. But on a hot day, the menthol in the mint adds another cooling element, making it especially refreshing. Dont forget about the chocolate, though. Dark chocolate is most commonly used in chocolate chip mint ice cream, and the slight bitterness provides an earthy contrast to the fresh minty flavor.
Also, did you know mint chocolate chip ice cream has royal origins? Yes, this frozen treat was created in 1973 by Marilyn Ricketts as part of a dessert contest in honor of the wedding of Princess Anne and Captain Mark Phillips.
The easiest way to make an indulgently rich mint chocolate chip ice cream recipe is to use the no-churn method which doesnt require an ice cream machine.
You May Like: Fabrica De Chocolate Cerca De Mi
Dark Side Of The Scoop
Mint is only half of the mint chip equation. Just as important is the chocolate, which is why I always cringe when I see a mint chip recipe call for chocolate chips. We can do better.
It’s not that chocolate chips are worthless they just don’t belong in mint chip, where you need the charged blast of dark chocolate to cut through the sweet cream and airy mint. Chocolate chips also turn unpleasantly waxy when frozen, thanks to the oils and stabilizers they’re loaded with to keep them from melting into puddles in an ovenor your mouth.
So it’s dark chocolate or bust. But even there we have choices: Do we cut the chocolate into fat chunks for bite or fine shavings so they fully integrate into the mint? These days, I prefer to take a cue from the Italians and split the difference.
Stracciatella is Italian for “shreds,” and in ice cream terms it means a drizzle of warm chocolate swirled into churning ice cream that sets into snappy ribbons which break into chips. With a mix of whisper-thin threads and thicker clumps that naturally form in the churn, stracciatella offers the best variety of textures in a single scoop. Better yet, the chocolate itself melts in your mouth, velvety and soft rather than unpleasantly hard and crunchy, as often happens with frozen chocolate.
How To Make No
For a few more no-churn ice creams to try, Strawberry Shortcake Ice Cream makes the most of strawberry cravings on a hot summer day.
Raspberry White Chocolate Ice Cream is rich and creamy, swirled with raspberry and white chocolate for a special treat.
This Creamsicle Ice Cream from Mama Loves Food is another summer ice cream youre going to love.
- 2ouncesdark chocolatechopped
You May Like: How Much Caffeine Is In Instant Coffee
How To Store No
Yes, there are fancy and specific ice cream containers you could buy, but you could also use containers you have on hand. Here are some options:
- Freezer-safe container
- An old ice cream bucket
- A loaf pan However, be sure to cover it with plastic wrap if you are going to keep it in the pan.
- Pie plateAgain, just be sure to cover the top of the ice cream with plastic wrap.
How Is Mint Chocolate Chip Ice Cream Made
This mint chocolate chip ice cream is easy to make and takes only a few minutes of your time to make the mixture.
Blend milk, sugar, and salt with a hand blender using the whisk attachment on low speed until all the sugar has dissolved. Now add the peppermint extract, heavy cream, and optionally 3-4 drops of food color to it and stir it with a spoon or a spatula.
There is no need to whisk or blend the mixture after adding the heavy cream as it will be churned in the ice cream maker.
Chill the mixture in the refrigerator for about two hours before churning it in the ice cream machine. Before pouring it into the ice cream maker bowl, just stir the mixture once to make it even in consistency.
Make the ice cream mixture.
Churn the ice cream.
Churn the ice cream in the ice cream machine for about 25 minutes. While it is churning, chop the semi-sweet chocolate into small pieces with a knife, You can also grate it using a hand grater.
Just 5 minutes before the churning ends, pour the chocolate chips into the ice cream maker and continue to churn. The chocolate will get well mixed into the ice cream.
Once the churning is complete, the ice cream will be of soft-serve consistency and can be eaten right away! To eat it at a later time, transfer it to an air-tight freezer-safe container and freeze it for 5-6 hours before serving.
Add chocolate chips.
Enjoy the ice cream scoop.
Also Check: Coffee Maker With Water Line
Homemade Mint Ice Cream Variations:
- Add chopped up Oreos instead of chocolate for a mint cookies and cream ice cream.
- Skip the green food coloring and chocolate, and add crushed candy cane pieces for a yummy peppermint candy cane ice cream.
Mint chocolate chip ice cream is one of my favorite flavors But this homemade mint chocolate chip ice cream does not disappoint.
Even without an ice cream maker, the ice cream is creamy, fresh, minty cool, and full of chunky chocolate pieces. Its so delicious, and tastes as good as you could buy from the store or your favorite ice cream shop!
I love scooping up a bowl with some hot fudge on top, but its delicious on its own too.
What To Serve With Mint Chocolate Chip Ice Cream
There is nothing wrong with just enjoying a scoop or two or three. But maybe you want to turn it into a Mint Chocolate Chip Ice Cream Cake, or
- Make it a Sundae. Slather it with Hot Fudge Sauce, or enjoy a St. Patricks Day dessert with Baileys Fudge Sauce. Its also delicious with .
- Have Cake and Ice Cream. Complete someones special day by having a scoop with Gluten Free Birthday Cake. A Flourless Chocolate Cake will up the chocolate factor.
- Sandwich It. Serve a scoop between two Gluten Free Chocolate Chip Cookies or Gluten Free Chocolate Waffle Cookies.
Don’t Miss: Starbucks White Chocolate Mocha Creamer
See What Our Readers Are Saying
Oh my goodness! Heaven in a bowl! During quarantine we have rediscovered our ice cream maker. However weve been stuck on vanilla because it was so delicious. Today my son asked for mint chocolate chip, my favorite, so I headed online and found your recipe. I adore easy recipes and this one was so simple. The perfect subtle amount of mint. And the melted chips at the end making the crackle? Thats what cinched the deal for me. All of my kids now agree this is the best flavor weve made yet! Thank you!
Better than any!!! I used lactose-free half-and-half, now everyone can enjoy this ice cream. I used your same recipe blend, and the lactose free half-and-half, to make chocolate chip, too . Rave reviews and special thanks from my lactose intolerant friends and family. Thank you for sharing!!!
What Do You Need To Make No Churn Mint Chocolate Chip Ice Cream
- heavy whipping cream you cant substitute half and half for this one, because you need to be able to whip the cream into stiff peaks since we wont be using an ice cream maker
- sweetened condensed milk instead of adding sugar, this is where you get your sweetness, and keeps it from being gritty
- peppermint extract I recommend not using mint as it can have spearmint in it as well, and might tastes like toothpaste
- chocolate I just like using a bar of baking chocolate, and chopping it up into pieces, you could also use mini chocolate chips
- green food coloring this is optional, but gives the ice cream that light minty green color we are used to seeing at the store, or ice cream shops
You May Like: Dutch Bros Coffee Los Angeles
No Churn Mint Chocolate Chip Ice Cream Tips:
- If you do not have peppermint extract, you can also melt down Andes mints and mix them into the ice cream. The mint flavor will not be as strong, but you will still get a delicious combination of chocolate and mint.
- You can add more food coloring if you would like a deeper green color. This is based on preference. Feel free to add as much or as little as you like to the mint chip ice cream.
- Vanilla extract adds even more flavor in this ice cream if you want to add that.
- Try to always use good quality ingredients. The ice cream will taste better and the flavor is enhanced.
- Make sure to gently fold the chocolate and sweetened condensed milk into the ice cream mixture. This will help the ice cream have a creamy texture.
- While the ice cream can be served after 4 to 6 hours, I prefer overnight. It makes it easier to scoop and the texture is firmer.
- The heavy whipping cream needs to be very cold. This will make it easier to whip.
- You can put your metal mixing bowl in the freezer before adding the ingredients. Everything comes together better if it is cold.
- I like to use the whisk attachment on my mixer to easily make this ice cream.
The Best Types Of Mint And Mint Extract
Did you know there are more than 600 varieties of mint? Many of them offer their own unique flavors. Spearmint, for example, is relatively mild in flavor while peppermint is more intense. Most fresh mint sold in grocery stores is spearmint, but you can also use peppermint in this ice cream recipe. In fact, many mint ice creams are made with peppermint rather than spearmint. Just keep in mind that since peppermint has a higher menthol content, you’ll want to use a bit less of it.
If you don’t have fresh mint, you can use an extract as an alternative. Mint extract is actually a combination of both spearmint and peppermint, while peppermint extract is made from just peppermint.
Also Check: Where To Buy Chocolate Graham Crackers
Recipe Tricks And Helpful Tips
- For optimal taste use mint extract and not peppermint extract. It may be a little harder to find but it really does make a huge difference. Mint extract is a mixture or spearmint and peppermint while peppermint extract is just peppermint.
- Dont cut down on the fat. The fat is what gives ice cream its smooth and creamy texture.
- This ice cream will need to churn for about 25-35 minutes however you need to check on it after 25 minutes because it is possible to over churn ice cream.
- Use good quality semisweet chocolate, dark chocolate or milk chocolate. Chop it very fine so the chocolate melts in your mouth. Big chunks of chocolate are too hard to bite into when frozen.
- The food coloring is not a must but it does give it that familiar mint color that we are accustomed to.
Easy Chocolate Chip Mint Ice Cream
I got this mint chip ice cream recipe from my friend Liz several years ago. I was surprised that something so easy to make could be so creamy and delicious!
Because there are no eggs in this ice cream base, no cooking is required. If you can stir ingredients together, you can make this mint chocolate chip ice cream recipe!
With my Cuisinart ice cream maker that doesnt even need ice and salt, this ice cream is even easier! In fact, its a little scary how simple it is to whip up a batch, because it is so hard to resist.
Of course, even if you have an old fashioned ice cream maker, you can have it cranking in just a few minutes.
Don’t Miss: Whole Foods Chocolate Eruption Cake
Why This Recipe Works
This homemade mint chocolate chip ice cream recipe is just as good, if not better than store-bought ice cream. Its super easy to make and so delicious. Theres no cooking involved because theres no eggs.
My kids loved this ice cream and each time it was gone within the first couple of nights. Ive made it many times over the years as its now a family favorite.
I actually prefer ice cream made with a sweetened condensed milk base. Its not only easy, it doesnt require eggs or to be cooked, which also means no long chill times in the refrigerator. Just mix, add to the ice cream maker, and freeze. Thats it.
So, youll see a lot of sweetened condensed milk based ice creams on this blog. The egg custards are good, and I know I can make them. Thats all I need to know. Been there, done that, like this way better.
Tips For Making This Mint Chocolate Chip Ice Cream Recipe
Use quality ingredients â When making homemade ice cream, youâll want to make sure you are using high-quality ingredients for the best outcome.
Chill out â If possible, always start with chilled ingredients. This is important for homemade no-churn ice cream recipes and ice cream maker recipes.
Donât skimp on the fat â High fat milk and cream are essential when making homemade ice cream. Opting for a low-fat option often leads to icy ice creams and inconsistency in the texture.
Donât go crazy with the add-ins â If youâre adding in additional ingredients, pick one or two and make sure they are chopped into pieces no larger than a blueberry or pea.
Donât skimp on the sugar â Sugar not only adds sweetness to homemade ice creams, it also helps with the texture. Sugar is essential for the creamy texture of ice cream.
Food Coloring is Optional – If you’re using food coloring, you can use either a liquid type or a gel food coloring. You’ll need a small amount of gel food coloring compared to the liquid type. I suggest starting with just a drop or two and adding more until you get the desired shade.
For Extra Mint Flavor – Just add a bit more peppermint extract! Don’t add more than 2 teaspoons of mint to this recipe though, it will be overpowering and artificial-tasting.
Read Also: How To Get Hot Chocolate Out Of Clothes