Neiman Marcus Chocolate Chip Cookie Legend
The Neiman Marcus legend goes something like this. Supposedly a woman was eating lunch at the Neiman Marcus cafe and quite enjoyed the cookies. So she asked for the recipe. She was told that the cost was two fifty and assumed that meant $2.50.
Then later on a bill, or charge on her card, shows up for $250 for the recipe. She then shares it with the world, and here we are.
Except, at least according to Snopes, thats all false.
Recipe Tips And Notes
- Be sure to use room temperature butter so that the butter will cream evenly into your cookie dough and result in a lighter, fluffier cookie. You can tell your butter is soft enough if you can press gently on the butter and your fingertips leave an indent.
- Once cooled, store cookies in a sealed container at room temperature for up to 3 days. They will also last in the refrigerator for up to 7 days. You may just want to microwave them for 10 seconds to warm before enjoying it.
- If you canât find dark chocolate chips, use additional semi-sweet chocolate.
- For baking these cookies, use either a nonstick cookie sheet or line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
Three: Prepare Cookie Dough
In a large mixing bowl, mix together flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, blended oats, blended nuts, and all three types of chocolate together until well combined.
Add the chocolate to the dry ingredients. This will coat the chocolate in the flour mixture, will help to keep the chocolate suspended throughout the cookie batter, instead of sinking to the bottom of the cookie.
In a separate large mixing bowl, cream butter and sugars together. Add in eggs and vanilla extract and beat until creamy.
Slowly mix in dry ingredients into butter mixture, being careful to not over mix or overwork the dough. You just want the flour mixture to be just mixed into the batter.
Refrigerate dough for at least 30 minutes. This helps the butter get cold again, which will help prevent the cookies from spreading too much in the oven.
Don’t Miss: Nature Valley Granola Bars Dark Chocolate
Delicious Chocolate Chip Cookie Recipe
While the legend of the Neiman Marcus Chocolate Chip Cookie Recipe might not be true, these are TRULY delicious cookies.
What makes them different than other chocolate chip cookies? They are distinct, they are not like my Chewy Oatmeal Cookies, Brown Butter Chocolate Chip Cookies, Chewy Chocolate Chip Cookies or Levain Bakery Style Cookies. Those are all delicious, but different.
These cookies have two main differences from most other cookies:
- They contain oats, but those oats are ground in a food processor or blender
- They contain grated or shaved chocolate, which really gives every bite chocolate flavor
While those differences are small, they really have an awesome impact on flavor. If you like to try different cookie recipes, I encourage you to give these a try. You can and save it for later!
How To Make Neiman Marcus Chocolate Chip Cookies 20
You May Like: How To Make Iced Coffee From Keurig
Using Room Temperature Ingredients
- Room temperature butter and eggs are important for this recipe for a couple of reasons. Cold ingredients don’t blend uniformly, so you won’t have as good results. Butter that is too warm will spread too much, yielding super flat cookies. Room temperature, okay?
- Room temperature butter isn’t super mushy. It should give slightly when pressed with your finger, but not slip and slide or be greasy/shiny. It will be slightly cool to the touch.
- Let butter sit on your counter for 1-2 hours to soften, or to bring to room temperature quickly, you can place cubed butter into a warm microwave for about 10 minutes or microwave cubed butter on 20% power for 10-15 seconds. Do not microwave on full power.
- To bring eggs to room temperature quickly, place them in warm water for 5-10 minutes.
Because this will 100% be your new go-to chocolate chip cookie recipe, you can definitely double the recipe to keep some dough on hand. Store dough pre-scooped in a zip-top bag in the refrigerator up to 5 days or in the freezer up to 3 months. Enjoy!
Did you make this recipe? Please leave a star rating in the comments!
- ½ tsp fine sea salt
- 1 ½ cups chopped dark chocolate
- flaky sea salt, for topping
One: Process Oats And Nuts
The first step to making Neiman Marcus Cookies is to blend the oats and nuts. I use my food processor, but a blender works as well.
To make the blended oats, simply place the oats in the food processor or blender and process until the oats turn into the consistency of flour. It is important to measure the oats AFTER you blend them, not before as baking is a science.
To make the blended nuts, remove the oats from the blender or food processor, and add nuts. Pulse the nuts until broken down into small pieces, being careful to not over-process–or you will make nut butter! Again remember to measure the nuts AFTER processing for correct measurements.
Also Check: Things To Cover In Chocolate
Neiman Marcus $250 Cookie
Most everyone has heard the story that a woman enjoyed the chocolate chip cookies so much while eating at the Neiman Marcus Cafe in Dallas that she asked for the recipe and was told by the waitress that she could have it for only two-fifty. But when her bill arrived, it was for nearly $300. So it was a $250 cookie recipe. However, the story is more of a myth than anything
That myth endured, though, so in 1997 Neiman Marcus actually came up with a cookie recipe and gave it out for free. While I dont know that its a recipe worth a $250 price tag, it is a wonderful cookie a chocolate chip cookie amped up with nuts, ground oats, and chocolate grated right into the batter.
The original recipe calls for Hersheys chocolate but you can use whatever kind happens to be your favorite. It gives the overall cookie a subtle chocolate flavor but theres plenty of melty chocolate chunks too. The other thing that makes these unique is that the dough doesnt just rely on wheat flour for texture, it also uses ground up oatmeal, which gives the cookies a nice chewy bite.
Its a cookie that feels a little more special than your basic chocolate chip, but its not really any extra effort. With a soft and chewy texture and a bounty of semi-sweet chocolate chips and crunchy nuts surrounded by subtle cocoa flavor, its not that much of a stretch to imagine paying a couple hundred to get your hands on this recipe.
Neiman Marcus Chocolate Chip Cookie Recipe
The cafes signature cookie has an oat-based dough flavored with grated chocolate, mixed with all kinds of chocolate chips and chopped nuts.
According to legend, one woman loved them so much, she asked her waitress for the recipe.
The waitress agreed to share it for two-fifty.
But to the customers surprise, her credit card was charged $250 for the recipe! Apparently, she was so mad, she shared the recipe with everyone she met out of spite.
Years later, Neiman Marcus debunked the myth and shared the recipe for free.
Also Check: Chocolate Peanut Butter Protein Bars
Why I Like To Freeze My Cookie Dough
Why I freeze my cookie dough? Whenever I have friends over, I love to bake some chocolate chip cookies. Theres nothing better, in my opinion, than walking into someones house and smelling freshly baked cookies, am I right?! So, its important to always have cookie dough in your freezer.
Using high-quality ingredients and a reliable recipe are two ways to ensure a delicious cookie, but theres something else that you should do to take your cookies to the next level: refrigerate or freeze the dough.
Flour contains naturally-occurring enzymes, which break down as the dough chills, leading to increased browning. The sugar in the dough absorbs the moisture from the flour, causing the cookie to brown and caramelize. Refrigerating the dough allows the flour to fully hydrate, which helps to make the cookie dough firmer. This will prevent the cookies from spreading too much, which is why chilling the dough is a crucial step for cut-out and rolled cookies. In terms of flavor, youll notice more depth of flavor from the vanilla and the sugar will taste sweeter. In terms of texture, chilled cookie dough produces a more evenly golden-brown cookie with a crisper edge and chewier center. Source
The Very Best Neiman Marcus Chocolate Chip Cookie Recipe
Better than the original, the Very Best Neiman Marcus Chocolate Chip Cookie Recipe is loaded with three different kinds of chocolate and a secret ingredient that will make your fellow cookie eaters wonder what makes them taste so incredibly amazing.
This post may contain affiliate links to products I use and love.
If youre looking for the BEST CHOCOLATE CHIP COOKIE RECIPE EVER.look no further. THIS is the OG of Chocolate Chip Cookies and youre not going to believe how amazing it is. It has giant chocolate chunks, chocolate chips and a secret ingredient I added that makes them OVER THE TOP AMAZING!
Don’t Miss: Where To Buy Chocolate Graham Crackers
How To Make Chocolate Chip Cookies
- Preheat oven. Line baking sheets.
- Grind outs in a food processor.
- In a bowl whisk together ground outs, flour, baking soda, baking powder and salt.
- In an electric mixer cream butter and sugars.
- Mix in eggs one at a time then blend in vanilla.
- Blend in flour mixture, then mix in chocolate chips and chocolate, and walnuts if using.
- Scoop dough out nearly 1/4 cup at a time and shape into balls.
- Transfer to baking sheets and bake until set.
Just be sure to under-bake these slightly so you dont end up with a dry cookie. The centers should be moist and chewy and you should have those buttery, crisp edges.
Famous Neiman Marcus Cookie Recipe
I got this chewy chocolate chip cookie recipe from my cousin when I was a teenager, and its been a favorite ever since! She made a batch of these and I had to have the recipe, I was totally smitten.
The story goes, that supposedly a woman was dining at the Neiman Marcus Cafe in Dallas, Texas and loved their chocolate chip cookies so much she asked for the recipe. She was told by the waitress that for two fifty she could have it. She agreed and later the credit card bill arrived and that was $250.
Is it true? Not sure, but either way these Neiman Marcus chocolate chip cookies are so unbelievably good!
And I had no idea they had oatmeal in them because its ground up like a flour. I love the flavor the oatmeal adds without being overbearing.
Plus, it helps thicken up the cookies so you dont end up with those squatty flat cookies. These are thick and deliciously chewy chocolate chip cookies.
You May Like: Cake With Chocolate Covered Strawberries
How To Make The Original Neiman Marcus Cookie Recipe At Home
Overall, this is a simple and straightforward cookie recipe. The only extra bit to perfecting Neiman Marcus chocolate chip cookies is blending up some oatmeal and adding some grated chocolate.
This cookie recipe follows the creaming method, which means youll start by creaming butter and sugar in a mixing bowl. If you have a stand mixer, use the paddle attachment on medium-high speed.
Creaming incorporates air into the butter, which helps your cookies stay light and fluffy. Serious Eats has a great article on the importance of creaming butter and sugar when making cookies.
Tip: To bring your butter to the perfect temperature for creaming, cut the butter into tablespoons and put it in your mixing bowl. By the time youve assembled all your other ingredients, your butter will be ready to cream.
I like to mix together the dry ingredients before creaming, and gradually add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients.
Mix until everything is just combined, being careful not to overmix, which can result in tough cookies. Finally, fold in your mix-ins: chocolate, more chocolate, and nuts.
At this point, you can refrigerate the dough for 30 minutes. Chilling creates even thicker, chewier cookies, as the cold dough wont spread as much in the oven.
At this point, if you dont eat them all straight away, the chocolate chip cookies can be frozen for several months or stored in an airtight container on the counter.
How To Store Neiman Marcus Cookies
This recipe makes a HUGE batch so no matter how addictive they are, leftovers are inevitable.
Store cooled cookies in an airtight container and leave them at room temperature for up to 3 days.
Want to save this recipe? Enter your email below and we’ll send the recipe straight to your inbox!
You can also refrigerate the cookies for up to 7 days, and then just microwave them for 10 seconds and itll be like they were freshly baked.
Read Also: How To Open Coffee Shop
How To Freeze Cookies
You have two options for freezing these Neiman Marcus cookies.
You can bake as directed and cool completely. Freeze the cooled, baked cookies for up to 1 month in an airtight container. Defrost on the counter for a few hours or in the refrigerator overnight and then enjoy.
Or you can freeze the cookie dough to bake whenever ever the craving for a warm cookie hits.
- Prepare the Neiman Marcus Cookie dough as directed up to chilling.
- Roll the cookie dough into balls and place them onto a rimmed cookie sheet that has been lined with parchment paper.
- Place the tray into the freezer and freeze for 1 hour, or until solid.
- Transfer the balls to a freezer-safe storage bag and store them in the freezer for up to 3 months.
- When ready to enjoy, bake at 375 for 8-10 minutes directly from the freezer.
How To Freeze Cookie Dough
You dont have to bake all 96 cookies on the same day! Just store the rest of the cookie dough balls in the freezer for another day.
Heres how you do it:
No need to defrost the balls beforehand, either! Just add 1 to 2 minutes to the baking time and youre good.
Also Check: Hersheys Sugar Free Chocolate Chips
What Else Can I Add To Chocolate Chip Cookies
This is an incredibly versatile recipe. The dough itself is so tasty, soft and chewy that you can play around with your favorite cookie inclusions. The recipe includes the classics: chocolate chips, chocolate shavings, and nuts.
Of course, you can easily omit the nuts if youre not a fan. Or, you can replace them with other candies, such as Heath Bar. Coconut chips also add a nice, tropical note. One reader replaced all of the chocolate with M& Ms for a colorful take on the classic chocolate chip cookie.
How do you like to change up your Neiman Marcus cookies? Let me know in the comments, I love trying new mix-ins!
Youll also want to try my Neiman Marcus Cake recipe!
- Preheat oven to 375 F.
- Blend oatmeal: Measure and process in a blender to a coarse powder.
- In a medium bowl, mix together flour, oatmeal, salt, baking powder, and baking soda
- In the bowl of an electric mixer, fitted with the paddle attachment, beat the butter and sugars, on medium-high speed, until well light and fluffy. Beat in the eggs and vanilla until well blended, scraping down sides of the bowl as needed.
- Add flour mixture mix just until blended. Stir in chocolate chips, grated chocolate, and nuts, if using.
- Roll into balls and place two inches apart on cookie sheet. Bake for 10 minutes. .
- Let cookies cool for 2 minutes on baking sheet before transferring cookies to racks to cool completely.
What Are Neiman Marcus Cookies
There are numerous versions of the infamous Neiman Marcus Cookie urban legend from the 1990s, but the basic story is that a woman visited the cafe in Dallas and after dinner had a delicious chocolate chip cookie. She asked for the recipe, the employee declined, so she offered to pay for the recipe.
The employee said it would cost two-fifty. Instead of $2.50, it was actually $250 as she found out on her credit card bill, making it the most expensive chocolate chip cookie ever.
Supposedly she published the Neiman Marcus cookie recipe online out of revenge, but whatever the story is, we now have ourselves a delicious chocolate chip cookie recipe that was never actually even served in a Neiman Marcus cafe. However, Neiman Marcus has helped to debunk this myth and published the recipe on their site. The recipe they publish is slightly different from the one my Grandma gave me years ago, but I wanted to share the one I know and love.
Don’t Miss: Starbucks White Chocolate Mocha Creamer