Peanut Butter & Chocolate No
These no-bake cookies are quite possibly the easiest cookie youll ever make.
Not only are they made with a handful of pantry staples, but they cook for just a few minutes on the stove before youll scoop them onto a cookie sheet to firm up. Dont worry, though, just because theyre simple doesnt mean theyre boring! These cookies are rich and chocolatey, with undertones of peanut butter, oats, and vanilla. They can hold their own against even the most hearty cookies out there, except they take a fraction of the time to make.
No-bake cookies are quite different from other cookies, and if were getting technical, theyre actually more similar to a candy than a cookie. Because of this, they can sometimes be a little tricky to make, especially in humid environments.
To help those of you who are new to this recipe, Ive included some troubleshooting below to help you avoid some of the more common issues with this kind of dessert. If you follow all of the tips in this post though, youll have perfectly set no-bake cookies in no time!
No Bake Chocolate Cheesecake
Its always hard to resist a slice of cheesecake! Cheesecake is a favorite around my house but I very rarely feel like going through the work to make one. After discovering the joys of making no bake cheesecakes a few years back, Ive almost exclusively made variations on that recipe ever since! This version takes that recipe and combines it with my no bake chocolate pie make the perfect no bake chocolate cheesecake recipe. Each bite is loaded with chocolate flavor AND it is really simple to make. I made a homemade crust but dont worry, you can always just buy a pre-made one instead if you want to save a step.
Why Are My Cookies Dry And Crumbly
If your cookies turned out dry and/or crumbly its most likely because they boiled for too long or the heat was too high while cooking.
Its very important to bring these to a boil slowly. I know it can be tempting, but keep these at medium heat. Ive been guilty of turning the temp up on recipes to get things boiling faster, but that can quickly ruin these cookies.
Patience is important during the boiling process. I promise its worth the wait.
Recommended Reading: How To Open Coffee Shop
Can You Use Old Fashioned Oats In No Bake Cookies
Yes! You can use old fashioned oats or quick cooking oats in no bake cookies. Quick cooking oats are coarsely chopped old fashioned oats. Using old fashioned oats will give the cookies more texture and make them chewier.
I like to use quick-cooking oats when I make chocolate no bake cookies for my family.
Step Five: Form Cookies
Once the cookie dough comes together, drop it by spoonfuls onto parchment paper. Youll want to work quickly to form the cookies before the chocolate hardens.
Or just eat some while they are still warm and gooey!
How Long To Bake Chocolate Chip Cookies
The recipe youre using to make chocolate chip cookies likely offers a time range for baking. Thats because several things can affect the baking time your ovens temperature, the pan youre using, even how often you open the oven door during baking.
Check the recipe for the cues it offers for assessing doneness. For classic-style chocolate chip cookies, youre usually looking for how brown the cookies are around the edges. Remember that the warm pan will continue baking the cookies for a bit after they come out of the oven. Done in the oven means over-done on the plate.
Recommended Reading: Best Milk Chocolate In The World
Tip #1 The Secret Ingredient For The Best No
So right out the gate, lets just start with the secret ingredient to getting the best ever no-bake cookies. And that my friend is cream of tartar. Its not an ingredient thats included in the old-fashioned no-bake cookie recipes but it adds a bit of forgiveness to your no-bake cookies that will set them apart.
What does cream of tartar do for no-bake cookies? Cream of tartar is a white powdery stabilizer made from tartaric acid. You can find it in the baking aisle. A lot of fudge makers swear by this ingredient for creating the creamiest fudge that sets up beautifully.
Since no-bake cookies are pretty much just peanut butter fudge loaded with oats, its a huge winning ingredient! Cream of tartar not only helps prevent crystallization but will also help the cookies set up, resulting in a no-bake cookie with the PERFECT creamy texture.
Why This Recipe Works
Chocolate no bake cookies are made with chewy oats, creamy peanut butter, and delicious chocolate. Stir it all together, roll them out, and let them set for around 15 minutes before theyre ready to eat. So easy and quick!
Theyre quite similar to our no bake cornflake cookies with a chewy texture and rich chocolate base, except were replacing the cornflakes with oats and mixing together a few ingredients to make our own chocolate concoction. These classic cookies have been around for a long time and are loved by so many!
Read Also: Galletas De Chispas De Chocolate Recetas
Can You Make These Monster Cookies Gluten
Yes, these no-bake monster cookies can easily be made gluten-free. Simply substitute the oats for gluten-free oats and make sure to use gluten-free chocolate chips and M& Ms. This should be a pretty easy modification to make as the primary ingredient is readily replaceable for a gluten-free alternative.
Why Did My No Bake Cookies Not Set Up
If your cookies did not firm up, most likely they did not boil long enough.
The humidity can also affect how the cookies turn out. For example, if you make these on a humid day, you might need to boil them a little longer.
But heres a quick trick. If your cookies did not set properly place them in the refrigerator. This should help them firm up.
If that doesnt work, here are a few more tips to make sure your no bake cookies harden.
Read Also: How To Grow Cocoa Beans
Why We Love Chocolate Chip Cookies
You wont find many people who are immune to the draw of really good chocolate chip cookies. Theyre such a perfect combination of simple vanilla cookie with little bits of chocolate studded throughout them. Chocolate and vanilla are a classic flavor pair, and that may not be more evident than in chocolate chip cookies!
And these cookies are perfect for so many occasions, from birthdays to bake sales to holidays to cookie swaps. Plus, so many of these recipes are a great baking project for bakers of all skill levels.
Before we get to the recipes, lets talk about some ways to make your chocolate chip cookies turn out perfectly!
Tip #2 Always Melt The Sugar
If you want to get a ridiculously smooth and creamy no-bake cookie that tastes incredible days after then follow this tip. Before bringing the mixture to a boil, keep the heat on low, while stirring constantly, just until all of the sugar has dissolved. The cream of tartar will make this process quicker as it breaks down the sugar. I usually rub a bit of the mixture between my fingers to make sure I dont feel any sugar granules before proceeding to the next step. Dont forget to scrape down the sides of the pot with sugar granules tend to hide. The mixture should be super smooth.
Recommended Reading: Coffee At Sam’s Club
Frequently Asked Questions & Expert Tips
Why arent my cookies setting up?
The most common reason for no bake cookies not setting properly is because you didnt boil the cocoa, sugar, milk, and butter for long enough. The mixture must reach a rolling boil and be kept there for 1 minute. This will allow the mixture to bind together your cookie ingredients. Its easiest to set a timer once the mixture reaches a rolling boil.
How do I store them?
Store your cookies in an air-tight container kept at room temperature for 3-4 days. Store in a cool, dry place away from direct sunlight.
Can I freeze chocolate no bake cookies?
Yes, you can freeze these cookies. To do so, allow the cookies to fully set then transfer them to an air-tight container or a large ziptop bag. Store in the freezer for up to 3 months.
Tips & Tricks To Nail The Recipe
The recipe is super simple and easy to follow, no doubt, but having these additional tips and tricks up your sleeve can always help.
- Want to lend your white chocolate cookies a bit of the original chocolate flavor, but without actually using milk chocolate? You can add a bit of cocoa powder to it to give the cookies an extra depth of flavor.
- These no-bake cookies highly rely on refrigeration time to set well, and thats exactly why you need to make sure you give them at least a couple of hours in there to firm up and hold their shape.
- Use a cookie scoop to scoop out equal-sized portions of the dough- this will help all your cookies have a perfect size.
- To lend a bit of additional flavor to these cookies, you can add a bit of sea salt or kosher salt into the mixture. This will balance the sweetness of the cookies and keep them from tasting overly sweet.
- While this recipe calls for the use of old-fashioned oats, you can use quick-cooking oats too. Just remember that your cookies will have a much softer texture, which is why you might want to consider skipping the oat flour and increasing the amount of quick oats youre adding.
- If youre using the microwave to melt the chocolate, stir it at every 30-second interval to keep the chocolate from burning.
Looking for some more fun and delicious recipes like these no-bake cookies? Something thats easy to make and needs minimal ingredients? Here are a few good handpicked ones you might want to check out.
Recommended Reading: Iso Cocoa Pebbles Protein Powder
Why Do My No Bake Cookies Turn Out Gooey
If your chocolate no bakes end up being too gooey, that means they werent cooked long enough or they werent cooked at a low rolling boil for three minutes.
Thank you for letting me share our familys favorite recipe for no bake chocolate oatmeal cookies!
They are the perfect easy dessert when you dont have a lot of time and dont want to buy new ingredients. You probably already have everything you need to make these at home.
Ive taken these cookies to countless parties and get togethers and they are ALWAYS a hit!
Peanut Butter Cookie Ingredients
These homemade peanut butter cookies can be made using ingredients that are already in your pantry. Heres what youll need to make these ultra soft peanut butter cookies:
- All-purpose flour this base builds up the structure of the cookies.
- Baking soda and baking powder these are crucial as they help the cookies to rise.
- Salt we dont add that much because theres already salt in the peanut butter.
- Unsalted butter salted butter can be used too, just omit the 1/4 tsp salt from the recipe.
- Granulated sugar and brown sugar this blend gives the cookies the perfect sweetness and the brown sugar helps keep them soft.
- Creamy peanut butter I recommend using Jif or Skippy.
- Egg this helps bind the ingredients together, youll only need 1 here.
- Vanilla extract this adds that light, classic flavor we all love. Preferably stick with the real stuff not imitation.
Scroll down for printable recipe with amounts.
Also Check: Cuisinart Coffee On Demand Coffee Maker
No Bake Cookie Tips & Tricks
- Patience is key: do not spoon the mixture onto the wax paper while hot! Allow it to cool so the cookies will be easier to form.
- You may also refrigerate for 10 minutes to speed up the cooling process.
- Stick to real butter for this recipe and do not use margarine! Margarine will leave your cookies tasting strange.
- This tip may seem strange, but its 100% legit. Do not make these cookies when its raining! The pressure in the atmosphere prevents the cookies from setting properly.
- You can reduce the sugar by up to half if you dont want it to be too sweet.
- You may use almond extract instead of vanilla for an even more interesting flavor.
- Give your cookies more crunch by adding chopped nuts.
- While the recipe calls for rolled oats, you may also use quick oats. Quick oats will yield more tender cookies, while rolled oats will give a nice chewy texture.
- Stir the mixture constantly as you cook.
- Make sure the mixture reaches a full rolling boil before removing it from the stove. This ensures that the no bake cookies set properly.
- Do not overcook the mixture doing so will cause dry cookies.
- Give your cookies a little twist by adding some shredded coconut. A unique flavor that goes well with oatmeal, peanut butter, and chocolate!
- Use creamy peanut butter for well creamier cookies!
- Looking for a healthier version? Use coconut oil instead of butter and agave instead of sugar. Your cookies will taste like Almond Joy.
- A pinch of salt can also enhance the flavor of your cookies.
Can You Make These Monster Cookies Nut
Yes, these no-bake monster cookies can be made nut-free. Simply substitute the peanut butter for a nut-free butter or spread like sunflower butter. Just make sure to check with anyone that might have a nut allergy that you plan to serve these to – sometimes M& Ms can’t be ingested by people with nut allergies because they are processed on the same equipment that the peanut M& Ms are processed on.
Read Also: Recipe For Hot Chocolate With Cocoa Powder
How Is This Recipe Different Than The Classic No
This recipe uses less butter and slightly more milk. It also includes cream of tartar, less oatmeal and a longer, no-stir cooking time. The use of a thermometer ensures a perfect set every time! These simple changes create an improved no-bake cookie that still retains that classic, old-fashioned flavor.
No Bake Cookie Flavors / Add
Feel free to stir in a handful of chia seeds, flax seeds, raisins, dried fruit, hemp seeds, shredded coconut, chocolate chips, or sugar free chocolate chips.
If you want to make them without peanut butter, you can also substitute almond butter, cashew butter, sunflower butter, or even coconut butter.
And for sweetener, you can use pretty much anything brown sugar, unrefined sugar, pure maple syrup, honey, agave, xylitol , etc. Use a liquid sweetener for no bake cookies without milk.
You May Like: Healthy Chocolate Chip Cookie Recipe
Ingredients For This Recipe
Before you get started making the cookies, I suggest getting all of your ingredients ready and measuring them out. This will make the process go much smoother, and the quicker you get everything combined after the mixture has boiled the better the cookies will turn out.
Heres a quick overview of exactly what you will need:
- Butter: I prefer to use butter in this recipe because it tastes better. I have tested it with margarine though and it does work just fine.
- Milk: Any kind of milk will work in this recipe! I typically use whole milk, but 2%, 1%, skim, or even a non-dairy milk like almond milk will work.
- Granulated Sugar: To sweeten the cookies and help them set up.
- Unsweetened Cocoa Powder: This adds a delicious chocolate flavor to these cookies. Natural unsweetened or Dutch-process cocoa powder both work great.
- Peanut Butter: I recommend using a no-stir creamy peanut butter like Jif or Skippy. Crunchy peanut butter is fine too!
- Vanilla Extract: For a little flavor.
- Quick-Cooking Oats: I find that quick-cooking oats work best in this no-bake cookie recipe because theyre smaller and not quite as chewy.
Can You Freeze No Bake Cookies
Yes! Just spoon out the mixture on a large prepared baking sheet with a cookie scoop and place the cookies in the freezer until frozen . Once frozen, place them in an airtight container or a Ziplock bag and freeze for up to 2 months. To thaw, just place cookies in a single layer on a pan at room temperature until thawed and ready to eat.
Recommended Reading: Starbucks Cold Brew Cocoa And Honey
No Bake Cookie Recipe No Oven Needed
These cookies dont need to be baked in an oven and that is one of the reasons I love them so much. They are almost too easy to make! You make the cookies on the stovetop so there is a little cooking involved, but no baking. Give your oven a break and get out a pan and spatula. You will be in cookie heaven in no time!
How To Make An Oreo Crust
Step 1 – Add the Oreos to a food processor or blender and grind until you have fine crumbs.
Step 2 – Mix Oreo crumbs with melted butter in a large bowl.
Step 3 – Pour the Oreo mixture into a pie dish or springform pan and press on the bottom and sides evenly.
Step 4 – Bake in the oven or place in the refrigerator to set. This crust can also be frozen to help the butter solidify.
Don’t Miss: Chocolate Diamond Rings For Sale
Are They Vegan Gluten Free Keto
For vegan chocolate no bake cookies, Ive included the option to use coconut oil instead of butter. Vegan butter also works, as does simply adding extra peanut butter and omitting the butter entirely. Theyre not keto, but I linked to a keto no bake option in the recipe below if you need one. And the cookies can be suitable for gluten free diets, as they have no flour. If you want to ensure no cross-contamination with wheat ingredients, just use Certified Gluten Free Oats.